What are Reversible Lanes?
Reversible lanes are designated highway lanes designed to reduce congestion by switching the direction of traffic flow during peak travel times. Reversible lanes allow road authorities experiencing heavy directional traffic to increase roadway capacity at certain times of the day. They are typically positioned in the median of freeway facilities separated from other lanes by concrete barriers. Reversible lanes are generally used on a regular fixed schedule based on daily commuting patterns to provide consistency for road users. Exclusive slip ramps are used to provide terminal access to reversible lanes. They are equipped with automated barrier gates to manage traffic flow into and out of the lanes and to prevent vehicles from entering the lanes in the wrong direction.
Reversible Lane Operational Challenges
Agencies face several challenges as part of reversible lanes’ operations:
- Safety concerns for motorists during reversal operations
- Labor intensive and time consuming because of repetitive traffic control operations
- Complexity of daily surveillance and lane or ramp reversal activities
Benefits of Automated Reversible Lane Operations?
The use of automated warning signage and gates is essential for the safe operation of reversible lane facilities. Road authorities operating reversible lanes use Versilis traffic gates and signs to:
- Improve motorist safety by physically preventing wrong way movements
- Create a safe environment for all road workers by reducing exposure
- Reduce time required to reverse lanes with fully automated operations
- Increase motorist compliance with highly visible gates and advance warning signage
- Reduce traffic control costs and improve staff resources deployment during reversal activities
Is your agency looking for solutions to improve the safety and efficiency of your reversible lane operations?
Versilis is proud to support road authorities in their efforts to enhance motorist and worker safety while improving the efficiency of reversal activities.
Learn how agencies across the United States have improved their reversible lane operations in partnership with Versilis by visiting our project pages.